If you are a permanent central government servant, you are allowed to accumulate leaves and then avail them whenever you need them.

  • Earned Leave (EL): You get 30 EL per year. You can accumulate up to 300 in your career.
  • Half Pay Leave (HPL): You get 20 per year and you can accumulate them without limit. You can also club with EL. You get a half-pay in this period.
  • Study Leave: Fully paid. Allowed up to 2 years in a career. 3 years are also allowed for certain courses.
  • Extra-Ordinary Leave (EOL): You can get up to 5 years of EOL in your career. This is without pay.

Therefore, it should be no problem to take one year off from central government jobs.